Season 6, Episode 23, August 3, 2019
Sheila Pennycuff, the woman behind the Blount County, TN Public Library Seed Library.
A visit with Sheila Pennycuff, the woman behind the Blount County Public Library “Seed Library”. Sheila shares how she started this Library, the importance of saving heirloom seed, her influences, her willingness to help other people start their own seed library in their county and news of upcoming events at the Blount County Public Library regarding Seed Saving. Mission Statement of the seed library:
The Seed Library @BCPL exists to empower local home gardeners to grow and save seeds, learn about the history, culture, and growing of all kinds of plants with an emphasis on Southern Appalachian heritage varieties, and share a portion of the seeds of their harvest back to the community.
Also, we will hear from Fred Sauceman of Johnson City and his “Potluck Radio” series and visit with Ingrid Moore who arrives at 5:00 A.M. every morning to cook at the the German Restaurant “Edelweiss” in Staunton, VA.
- Blount County Public Library Seed Library: https://www.blounttn.org/1464/Seed-Library
- Seed talk, August 28th, 2-3 P.M., Blount County Public Library with Ben Cohen: http://www.smallhousefarm.com/about-us/
- Master Seed Saver application, ongoing: https://www.blounttn.org/DocumentCenter/View/19266/Master-Seed-Savers-Club-Application---Rules
- Century Harvest Farms Foundation: https://centuryharvest.org/
- Fred Sauceman “Pot Luck Radio” series.: https://www.facebook.com/fred.sauceman
- Vittles and Fiddles 3 day weekend event at Dancing Bear Appalachian Bistro: https://www.dancingbearlodge.com/event/vittles-and-fiddles-weekend
- New Hope Children’s Advocacy Center: http://blountkids.org/
- Go Fund me link for the family of Joe Cunningham: https://www.gofundme.com/joe-cunninghams-memorial-fund