May 18 & 25, 2019, Season 6 Episode 16
A visit with Author John Tullock and his book "Appalachian Cooking, New & Traditional Recipes"
We are setting the table this day with the preservation of Appalachian food ways. My featured guest is guest is John Tulloch of Knoxville who grew up on a farm and helped his Grandmother in the kitchen in Greenville, TN. We are going to discuss his latest book entitled: “Appalachian Cooking, New and Traditional Recipes”. John will also share his way of making Succotash which is in the book.
- We also get to hear from D & Jim Brown. They own and run Honey Rock Herb Farm in Louisville, TN and D shares with us how she makes cornbread with Sage.
- Fred Sauceman shares a Pot Luck Radio segment about the beloved Hob Nob Drive in - which opened in 1952 outside of Gate City, Virginia.
- Plus, I’ve got news about the 17th annual Wayne Scott strawberry festival happening Saturday (May 18, 2019) in Unicoi, TN
Thank you so much for your interest in this podcast. It means so much to me to have you listen.
First, thank you to the sponsor of The Tennessee Farm Table is Century Harvest Farm Foundation with the mission of fighting food insecurity in East, Tennessee: https://centuryharvest.org/
Links to featured guest John Tullock
- John Tullock’s Blog: http://johntullock.blogspot.com/
- John Tullock’s facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/john.tullock.562
- John Tullock’s facebook page featuring his book: https://www.facebook.com/AppalachianCooking
- Where to purchase John Tullock’s book “Appalachian Cooking, New and Traditional Recipes”:
Notes from the Author: Amazon and Barnes & Noble both have the book available to order. Countryman Press is distributed by Ingram. Any bookstore anywhere in the US should be able to order a copy for an interested reader. Knoxville readers can order online and pick up at the Suburban Center location with no shipping fees. Barnes and Noble shows it is in stock at the Asheville and Johnson City locations.
Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/appalachian-cooking-john-tullock/1126829991
Or, found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Cooking-New-Traditional-Recipes/dp/1682681009
Additional guests and mentioned places and events:
Fred Sauceman: https://www.facebook.com/fred.sauceman
Honey Rock Herb Farm: https://www.honeyrockherbfarm.com/
Hob Nob Drive In: https://www.facebook.com/hobnobdrive/
Emi Sunshine: https://theemisunshine.com/
Links to events:
3rd Annual Nine Lakes Wine Festival, June 1, 2019: https://www.ninelakeswinefestival.com
East Tennessee Spring Maker’s Market, June 1, 2019: https://www.facebook.com/East-Tennessee-Makers-Market-711104555576546/
Beardsley Farm Solstice Supper (June 20, 2019): https://www.facebook.com/events/1442098195932527/May 18, 2019, Season 6 Episode 16