Season 6, Episode 29. October 5, 12th, 2019.
Chocolate Gravy and Sausage Gravy. That is my featured subject of this episode of The Tennessee Farm Table Podcast & Broadcast.
- In this episode, we will be joined by singer songwriter Verlon Thompson, his food memory of chocolate gravy, and what it meant to him as a kid growing up in Oklahoma. In addition, we will also hear Verlin Thompson’s song “DinnerBell”.
- I’ll share with you the recipe I use to make chocolate gravy - and you might be suprised, it really doesn’t have much fat in it. The recipe is also posted below.
- And also, Fred Sauceman will share a segment today involving Apple Butter, Chow Chow, Pickled yellow crook neck squash, fried pies, and Andrea Roberts Lawson who is known as “Chief Gravy Maker” of the annual Lord’s Acre sale in Hiltons, Virginia.
Links to guests and Century Harvest Farm Foundation:
Verlin Thompson: https://www.verlonthompson.com/Century Harvest Farm Foundation, Greenback, Tennessee: https://www.facebook.com/centuryharvest/
Fred Sauceman: https://www.facebook.com/fred.sauceman
Chocolate Gravy Recipe
“Chocolate Gravy” is not exclusive to Appalachian cooking, but it is commonly associated with Southern Cooking. It is typically served over hot biscuits, some people would have this often, for others, only on special occasions. While it does have a good bit of white sugar, it doesn’t have as much fat as we usually associate with gravy. This recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon of butter at the end of the cooking process.
1/4 c cocoa powder
3 T all purpose flour
3/4 c white sugar
2 c milk
1 Tb soft butter
2 Tb Vanilla extract
Whisk the cocoa, flour, and sugar together in a bowl until there are no lumps. Pour the milk into the mixture and whisk until well incorporated. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until its consistency is similar to gravy, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir the butter and vanilla into the mixture until the butter is melted. Serve immediately.
*Usually served over hot biscuits
News and events that where broadcast October 12, 2019 during The Tennessee Farm Table Podcast & Broadcast.
What: Happy Valley Community Club Fall Festival
When: Saturday, October 26th, 10:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.
Where: 6468 Happy Valley Road, Tallassee, TN 37878
Description: There will be a Fall Festival at the Happy Valley Community Club on Saturday, October 26th from 10 - 2 pm with Food, Fun, Mountain Music, and crafts. Visit in the historic schoolhouse for lunch, shopping and explore nearby Abram’s Creek Campground in the Great Smoky Mtns Mtl Park.
Lunch is available at a modest price of $6.00 / $3.00 children (4-12 years), with kids ages 3 and under at no charge and includes:
Chicken and Dumplings or Beans and Cornbread, Greenbeans, Slaw, Dessert, Tea or Coffee.
What: BCPL’s 100th Birthday Party
When: Thursday, October 24th, 4:00 - 5:30 P.M.
Where: Main Gallery of the BCPL, 508 N Cusick St, Maryville, TN 37804
Description: You’re invited for the BCP Library’s “Happy 100th Birthday” Celebration. Hear the first reading of the proclamation marking this historic occasion, learn about the history of how the BCP library was formed, sing Happy Birthday, and have a piece of cake! Also, visit the Blount County Seed Library which is housed in the BCPL while you visit. This event is free and open to the public, sponsored by the Blount County Friends of the Library.
What: America Recycles Day
When: Saturday, November 2, 2019 from 10:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.
Where: The parking lot of First Baptist Church, 202 W. Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Maryville, TN 37801
Description: Keep Blount Beautiful will host its annual America Recycles Day on Saturday, November 2nd from 10AM-2PM at First Baptist, Maryville. America Recycles Day is an annual drive-through collection event for hard to recycle items so they can be properly recycled or reused. Please visit the link on facebook for a list of accepted items - there will be a disposal fee for CRT monitors and TVs. Cash or check payment only.
- The Lion’s Club will be collecting used eyeglasses.
- Blount County Fire Department will be collecting Coats and Jackets in Good condition
- Keep Blount Beautiful will be collecting reusable bags in good condition
- Karm will be collecting clothing and shoes in good condition
- My frugal home will be collecting used candles, sewing notions, craft supplies, and gift bags
- E-Cycle will be collecting small appliances, printers/scanners/computers and such - there is a list of the items they will be collection on the facebook page of this event. https://www.facebook.com/events/2447563818857427/
What: “Unwind After 5, and do good at the same time”, at Century Harvest Farm Foundation.
When: Thursday, October 17th from 6:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.
Where: Century Harvest Farm Foundation, 7085 Morganton Rd., Greenback, TN 37742
Join YPLC, and Century Harvest Farms Foundation for an evening on the farm with friends, and an opportunity to learn about how YOU can help folks coming out of incarceration, and who are in recovery, gain living wage employment to support the health and wellness of their families. Tickets are only $10, and it includes a farm tour, charcuterie, and more! All proceeds from the ticket sales will go directly back into CHFF's programming. RSVP to Blair Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.