Season 5, Episode 34, September 29, 2018
2nd Annual Great Smoky Mountain Food Days Event
Great Smoky Mountain Food Days Event - This show consists of several guests who work hard to celebrate, elevate, and promote Appalachian foods past and present.
- First, an interview with Sue Conley, and Peggy Smith (Founders of Cowgirl Creamery, these people are the two behind the endowment for the Annual Great Smoky Mountain Food Days Event, described as an event that celebrates the food of the Great Smoky Mountains shaped by the mountains, climate & people. http://greatsmokymountainfooddays.com/
- My second guest is James Beard Award winning food writer Ronni Lundy who is the key note speaker at the 2nd Annual Great Smoky Mountain Food Days, Knoxville. A few months before her award winning book “Victuals” was released, I traveled to her home and recorded her reading from her own books including the James Beard Award winning book entitled “Victuals”. Today, She will share a chapter from Victuals entitled: “Mess’n with Greens”
- And our friend to the show Food Historian and writer Fred Sauceman from Johnson City, shares a “Pot Luck Radio on the Road” segment on a taste treat from he and his wife’s latest trip to New York City, a historic beverage experience that is one of his favorites called “Egg Cream”.
- I’ve got a real big list of food & farming events happening in the vicinity, brought to us all by area not for profit organizations that are food and farming in focus.
Links to Guests:
Cowgirl Creamery: https://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/the-cowgirl-story
Great Smoky Mountain Food Days 2018: http://greatsmokymountainfooddays.com/
Ronni Lundy: http://ronnilundy.com/
Fred Sauceman: https://www.facebook.com/fred.sauceman
Links to mentioned events:
- The Fall Heritage Festival & Old Timer’s Day, Saturday, September 29th, 2018 in Townsend, TN: https://www.facebook.com/events/518017495289599/
- 39th Annual Greek Fest, Knoxville, September 28,29, 2018: https://greekfesttn.wordpress.com/parking-transportation/
- Smoky Mountain Jamboree, September 29th, Townsend Heritage Center: https://www.facebook.com/events/1909540542675581/
- Annual UT Gardens Fall Plant Sale, September 29, 2018: https://www.facebook.com/events/1844362978961737/
- Annual National Muscadine Festival, September 29, 2018, Tsali Notch Vineyard, Monroe County, TN: https://www.facebook.com/nationalmuscadinefestival/
- Annual Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Seed Swap (Bill Best Seed Swap) Crossville (October 6, 2018) : https://www.facebook.com/events/330706321092587/
Bill Best’s Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center: http://www.heirlooms.org/
- University of Tennessee 20th Annual Fall Folklore Jamboree Saturday, (Oct. 20, 2018), Milan, TN: http://milan.tennessee.edu/FFJ/
- The 3rd annual Harvestfest 2018, a benefit dinner for Special Growers. takes place Sunday, October 21 from 6:00-10:00 PM at RT Lodge: https://www.specialgrowers.com/harvest-fest-2018
- The 3rd Annual Knoxville Seed Swap at Wilson Fine Gardens, Knoxville (October 27, 2018): https://www.facebook.com/events/2686095624749350/